Bachelor of Arts (BA) Music
In line with the National Universities Commission (NUC) Benchmark Minimum Average Standards (BMAS) for Undergraduate programmes in Nigerian Universities (Music), the department offers a four-year degree programme leading to the award of the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music. This course will enable the students to obtain a general grounding in all aspects of Music.
The aims and objectives of the programme leading to a B.A. degree in Music include:
- a) To prepare and produce graduate of music who will be competent to musicianship both in the international sense and also in their own African and National tradition. Graduates must have an understanding of the Arts and Science of Music as tools for the appreciation, analysis and practice of world music.
- b) To develop creative skills and talents in students with a view to preparing them for self-employment and entrepreneurship in the music industry, broadcasting, communications, entertainment, film cinematography and allied professions.
- c) To lay a foundation for further studies at post-graduate levels leading to advanced engagements in music research laboratory studio and functional exploration of music in relevant organizations and institutions such as Museums, Arts Councils, Religious, Teaching/Pedagogy and Mass Communication Media etc.
- d) To prepare and produce graduates of Music with an understanding of the art and science of Music and tools for the appreciation, analysis and practice of world (Western European) Music and African Music, and an ability to communicate these principles to others.
- e) To prepare students for professions in the practice and/or teaching of Music at various levels of education, broadcasting, media houses and other avenues of private and public music use, and in entertainment.