Bachelor of Arts in English & Literary Studies
In a country where English is an added language, a major official language, a lingua franca, and the language of instruction in the educational system, a high level of proficiency in it is usually expected from the graduates of higher institutions, especially the universities. A higher level of competence and communicative skills is expected even more from graduates of English. This is why there is a need for devoting greater attention to the achievement of improved knowledge of English and the acquisition of adequate oral and written skills in it. English graduates from Nigerian universities should be clearly and positively identified with adequate proficiency in pronunciation, articulateness in speech, the correctness of grammar and usage, elegance and style in diction in the choice of an appropriate variety of English for use in the various administrative and professional job opportunities available in the labour market, in literary and creative writing domains, and in postgraduate studies in language and literature.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) English Studies are as follows:
- To equip the students with adequate linguistic knowledge of the English Language through a detailed study of its sound system, its lexicon, its syntax, semantics and usage.
- To train students to acquire adequate communicative competence in both the spoken and written varieties of the English language, thereby giving them a good grounding and effective mastery of the Language in its various applications to achieve adequate self-expression and self-actualisation.
- To adequately prepare the students to pursue postgraduate studies in English Language, Linguistics, and to take up teaching and research at the appropriate level of education.
- To orient students towards self-employment by a focus on skills such as writing (e.g. of articles in magazines, of speeches; designing and presenting special programs on radio or TV, designing and publishing magazines etc.), creative writing, and other kinds of original output through independent thought, inventiveness and creativity.
To enable students to overcome deficiencies in their English.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) English Literature are as follows:
- To produce graduates who possess an informed literary and aesthetic sensibility and intellectual tools to appreciate any literary stimulus and event.
- To equip students with adequate knowledge of major landmarks in Literature in English in all genres and periods.
- To produce skilful and eloquent users of English for literary and artistic creativity.
- To impart a humanistic perspective to students by acquainting them with literature as an expression of lofty ideas and aspirations.
- To train students to relate literary works and experiences to their social environment.
- To stimulate in the students the aptitude for creativity and innovation in the exploration of investment opportunities in the culture and art industry.