Department of Marketing
The Department of Marketing commenced operation with effect from 2019/2020 Academic session as one of the programme under the Faculty of Management and Social Science, Michael and Cecilia Ibru University. The Department will be committed to producing high-quality graduates who are grounded in the field of marketing and administration that can function effectively both in public and private sectors of the economy.
The philosophy and mission of the B.Sc. marketing programme is to produce graduates with specialized, distinctive and qualitative skills to analyze, comprehend, predict and influence the factors that shape marketing relationships in an ever-changing business environment in a globalizing world. And to also equip students with relevant and adequate knowledge and skills for decision making in the marketing of goods and services
- To prepare the student to perform the marketing functions in a globalized business world.
- To transform the orientation and thinking of the students in line with the modern marketing concept.
- To provide for students the conceptual and analytical tools needed for marketing concept.
- To arouse the curiosity of the students in creative and innovative marketing in a dynamic business environment.
- To facilitate the education and training of Marketers at undergraduate, postgraduate experience, and professional level.
- To help produce teaching materials and literature more appropriate to the Nigerian environment through research and cross-fertilization of ideas in the classroom.
In addition to general University requirements, the Department of Marketing applies the following in considering admission of students.
- Candidates seeking admission into the four-year degree programme through UTME in the Department of Marketing must possess at least five credits in O/Level or its equivalent at not more than two sittings. The credits should be in the following subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Economics, and any other two relevant subjects.
- In addition, candidates must obtain an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
UTME subjects include English Language, Mathematics, Economics, and one other relevant subject.
In addition to the requirements specified in (i) above, candidates must possess any of the
- GCE Advanced level passes (or its equivalent) in two subjects, i.e. Economics and any one of Mathematics or any other relevant subject with grades not less than C in each of the subjects.
- Holders of ND certificates in relevant areas of Management Sciences with a minimum of Upper Credit from a recognized institution.
iii. Also, successful candidates in IJMB, JUPEB, and Cambridge examinations are qualified for admission into the programme.
The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Marketing is designed to provide students with a firm and Professional grasp in their area of study and to give them a broad intellectual background in their discipline. A student of Marketing should be competent in the general and specific intellectual skills including literary information processing skills; interpersonal skills such as communication skills; conceptual framework skills that help in good decision-making; competence in the use of Information Technology; subject-specific and transferable skills which allows for the pursuit of a wide range of careers after graduation; a reasonable level of competence in statistical and quantitative methods. Therefore, a graduate of Marketing who has achieved the threshold level at the end of the four (4) year programme, should be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of marketing principles and concepts.
- Knowledge of appropriate research methods.
- Reasonable and appropriate computing skills.
- Knowledge of global marketing.
- General knowledge in critical areas of marketing.
- Creativity in appreciating marketing problem, because consumer problems can usually be solved in a variety of ways; and
- Apply customer satisfaction to problem-solving, etc.
- 4.50 – 5.00 First Class
- 3.50 – 4.49 Second Class Honour (Upper Division)
- 2.50 – 3.49 Second Class Honours (Lower Division)
- 1.50 – 2.49 Third Class Division
- 0.00 – 1.49 Fail
The class of degree to be awarded will be based on the final CGPA attained at the end of the programme as follows:
CGPA CLASS OF DEGREE
4.50 – 5.00 First Class Honours
3.50 – 4.49 Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
2.40 – 3.49 Second Class Honours (Lower Division)
1.50 – 2.39 Third Class Honours
Begin your Journey to a world of limitless possibilities.